New Camp, New Challenges


After a short hiatus in Odessa, I have returned to my home in the mountains and begun my second camp. Same location, but all new kids….which means all kinds of new challenges

My first camp was a leadership camp and language development for teens with an intermediate level of English. I got the opportunity to teach entrepreneurship and public speaking. It wasn’t long that I was back in camp before I figured out that this would no longer be the case. My new group consists largely of younger kids who do not speak English very well. My new lessons….teach English in a formal, almost classroom-like setting. 

Six weeks ago this might have been my biggest fear. I don’t have much teaching experience, how can I teach a language to kids who can’t speak the same language as me? I was prepared for the possibility and embraced the challenge, but hoped that it would not come to fruition.

Now, after six weeks of being here, my mindset is different. How was I supposed to find my way through Kyiv’s public transport? How was I going to learn to read the alphabet? How can I buy anything at a store when I don’t speak Russian, I can’t read the labels, and I can’t talk to anyone? Well, I did it…and much more. So, teach kids who I can’t really talk to? No problem. I’m not really sure how I’ll do it, but I’ll figure out a way.

…and with that positive outlook I have to say that things have started pretty well. On my first evening with the kids, we played futbol, I taught them some card games, we played a few games of mafia, and I showed them some of my music. They seem to took to my music, Kasabian and Black Keys in particular. 

Unfortunately they like to listen to more hard rock, and so I usually have that playing when they are around. I like this music (it is on my iPod after all) but I have to say I’m in the middle of a John Lennon, Beatles, Philip Glass binge right now. It kind of kills my mood.

…but the good thing is that they are hanging around with me. Not that I would feel lonely without them, but they struggle through English when they hang around me, which means that they are learning.

I have also picked a little translator named Gleb. His brother went to the first camp I taught and he speaks good enough English to translate, so he ends up knocking on my door with another camper saying: ‘He has question for you’.

Overall, so far…so good.

After my first day of lessons, I think I will need to find a way to make it more exciting…but thankfully I have some material given to me by AIESEC Kyiv and also know other interns who have been doing the same work so I’m confident I will find solutions.

Behind all this, in the back of my mind a countdown has begun. 10 Days left.

I’m not sure how I feel about that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment