A Bad Day To Forget The Camera

My day started fairly early today and I expected that I would only be leaving the apartment for a couple hours to go to talk to the organization that runs the camp that I will be at. I was quite proud at myself for being able to meet the other AIESECer, who would join me in the meeting, at the subway station where it was at. I can know read the cyrillic alphabet quite well. I don't know what any of the words mean, but reading comes in handy for names and some signs....like subway stations and transfers.

At this meeting I found out that my camp will be starting July 8th and will be in L'viv, which is a long train ride away so I won't be coming back to Kyiv until my internship is over on Aug 9th. The camp looks really great and I'm really excited to be there, but this changes my plans for travelling and seeing Ukraine. I'll have to do that in the next couple weeks before I go instead of after. Chernobyl is on the hitlist but apparently it is an expensive tour. Will also have a couple day break during the camp in L'viv, so might wander across to Budapest.

However, this was all the boring part of my day. After finishing the meeting the OCP of the Summer Camp project took me on a meander through a couple parks in the historic side of town. Along the way she told me a lot of interesting facts about the city, but we also got to see:

-A bridge with a lot of locks on it, each lock with a couple's name, symbolizing that they would be together forever
-a big arch with statues that represented the friendship betwen nations
-a beautiful view of the city, showing the river and constrasting historical west side and modern/soviet east side
-a palace where important people have lived throughout the years
-the government ministry building, which is gorgeous
-parliament(?)
-a Red Bull party/rally
-random marathon and dance music
-memorial for fallen soldiers of WW2, celebrating the victory and strength of the Soviet Union
-Holodomor memorial (right beside the soviet memorial if you can believe that)

...and no pictures, except for one that someone else took of the Holodomor memorial. Oh well, still a great day. Legs are tired but got to see lots of Ukraine.

2 comments:

Tania said...

Do like I do: I always have camera in my bag =)

Mom said...

Such a terrific adventure!! Did your luggage find its way to you? Thinkin of ya every day!! xoxo

Post a Comment